We’re Hiring: join our liaison team!
We are growing our liaison team to deepen our support of our existing program schools!
We are seeking two additional part-time Area Liaisons for the 2018-19 school year—one liaison to cover East Vancouver and one liaison to cover Burnaby and Coquitlam.
On a very part-time basis (avg. three to six hours weekly), liaisons are the point of contact between program schools, volunteer tutors and the ONE TO ONE office. Each liaison will supports program schools in their geographic area and interacts with each school’s volunteer tutors and teachers to coordinate and monitor the success of the ONE TO ONE program. The new East Vancouver liaison will support seven schools and the Burnaby/Coquitlam will support between eight and 12 schools.
If you have a background in education and/or literacy and would like to join our team, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, June 25.
Please read below for a detailed job description:
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist the Coordinator to orient volunteer tutors with each school and tutoring space
• Assist the School Coordinator with tutor scheduling, timetables, and student records as requested
• Ensure that School Coordinators are aware of and implement the ONE TO ONE program in accordance with ONE TO ONE’s mission
• Provide program support to volunteers as needed, such as providing assistance on how to retain students’ attention, literacy games to play and other resources that might help them in their volunteer role
• Make volunteer tutors feel valued by supporting them and/or communicating with them on a regular basis
• Provide opportunities for volunteer tutors in the same school to get to know each other
• Communicate regularly with School Coordinators and volunteer tutors to address concerns before they escalate
• Communicate volunteer tutor changes and inform the ONE TO ONE staff of concerns if necessary
• Become familiar with the school schedule including timetable challenges, physical layout, access issues, and school emergency procedures
• Liaise with volunteer tutors and School Coordinators, providing information and support
• Increase awareness of ONE TO ONE in each of the schools
• Ensure students records are maintained and all forms are available
• Prepare and submit a mid-year and year-end report to the ED
• Communicate regularly with the ONE TO ONE office staff
• Attend ONE TO ONE staff meetings and events as required
• Record hours worked and submit a monthly invoice to the Treasurer and Executive Director
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships inside and outside the organization
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Literacy or education background and knowledge; preferably experience in BC elementary schools
• Ability to work independently and to prioritize duties
• Flexible and teamwork oriented
• Proficient with email, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
• Successfully complete a criminal record check
• Valid B.C. driver’s license and access to a vehicle
Note: Mileage is not paid.
The positions are a part-time contract, with September and October being the busiest months. The successful East Vancouver liaison candidate can expect to dedicate 126 hours and the successful Burnaby/Coquitlam liaison candidate can expect to dedicate between 144 and 216 hours over the 40 weeks of the school year.
While some of the work can be done from home, the successful candidate must be able to meet in the schools with tutors and School Coordinators as needed.